Membership is open to anyone with an interest in freshwater sciences, management and education in New Zealand and internationally.
Members receive a discounted rate to attend the annual NZFSS conference and associated workshops on topical freshwater issues, and an annual newsletter detailing recent work at research institutions, members’ addresses and interests, and recent publications. The Society administers grants for conference travel and visits by overseas scientists through the SIL Trust Fund. The Society also makes submissions to government bodies on behalf of members.
- Waged/Corporate — $55
- Student — $15 (Free for the first year)
- Unwaged — $15
- Life Membership — $1375
All membership rates are GST-inclusive.
The Society currently has over 450 members from a wide range of backgrounds, including research institutes, regional and district councils, government environmental and conservation organisations, universities and consultancies. Members’ freshwater interests include:
- Native freshwater fish
- Sports fishery management
- Aquatic invertebrate ecology
- Zooplankton and phytoplankton taxonomy and ecology
- Macrophytes and periphyton ecology
- Lakes, rivers and wetlands
- Water quality management
- Aquatic biosecurity
- Human perceptions of water
- Conservation and restoration of freshwater ecosystems
- Resource management
- Science education